Saturday 20 October 2012

butter pecan sweet potatoes.

The Canadian Thanksgiving has passed.  Done and done.  The American Thanksgiving, however, is still yet to come.  

I had promised to make something with sweet potatoes to go along with dinner.  (I made these for dessert:  Mini Apple Pies)  

One broken peeler and apples prepped in the fridge later, I still had 10 sweet potatoes to deal with.  I found a store that was open, bought a new peeler and got to work.





ingredients
10 medium sweet potatoes
olive oil
salt

pepper
2 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
4 tbsp. light brown sugar
1/2 cup of pecan pieces
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper


directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees--I preheated mine to 425 (More about that later..). Peel your potatoes and cut them in half lengthwise (it will make them much easier to chop.)  Slice each potato into half moons, about 1/2 inch thick.  Once your potatoes are chopped and on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  (You may need more than one baking sheet as this recipe yields enough to feed about 10 people).

Cook until your potatoes are tender--about 30-35 minutes.


Take them out of the oven:  sprinkle brown sugar, butter, cayenne, and pecan pieces. Bake for about 15 more minutes, the sugar should caramelize.  Serve and enjoy!


the best part about these potatoes

  • I have no picture of them... why?  I didn't think they looked pretty enough.  (Holidays stress me out sometimes.)
  • Smoke Detector Set Off Count:  3.  Until the boyfriend saved my stress level by climbing up and taking the battery out of the damn thing.
  • I thought they looked terrible as previously mentioned, but he thought they looked good.
  • Everyone (especially him) complimented how amazing they were and it was requested that I make them for Christmas.  (I will take a picture of those ones.)

No comments:

Post a Comment